SportMedBC members are medical, paramedical, and sport and exercise science practitioners in British Columbia with an interest in sport safety, sport training, sport performance and/or health promotion. SportMedBC works with our members to develop and deliver programming and services throughout British Columbia to the sport system and the general public. Through the Member Services described below, SportMedBC also actively supports the interests of our own members.
Annual membership in SportMedBC is available to interested, qualified persons through three membership categories:
(from the Sport Medicine Council of BC Bylaws - doing business as SportMedBC)
|ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE||VOTING OR NON-VOTING|
1. FULL MEMBER: Individuals are eligible to become voting members in the society if they are medical, paramedical or sport science professionals with an interest in sport medicine, sport science and health promotion, pay any fees set by the Board, and who are:
1.1 a current registrant of a health profession college under the Health Professions Act, RSBC 1996 c. 183; or
1.2 a current member of a para-medical or sport science professional association as recognized by the Society.
To register as a full member with SportMedBC please create a profile in our Online BC Practitioner Directory and click on "list your clinic or service with us and become a SportMedBC Member."
2. STUDENT MEMBER: Individuals are eligible for student membership in the Society if they are enrolled full-time in a post-secondary institute program in British Columbia, and have an interest in pursuing a medical, paramedical or sport science profession that supports the purposes of the Society, and pay any dues and fees.
3. ASSOCIATE MEMBER: An individual is eligible for associate membership if they do not meet membership eligibility qualifications under 1 or 2, but support the purposes of the Society, and pay all dues and fees
MEMBER SERVICES: SportMedBC offers an ever-increasing range of services exclusively to members in good standing. These include:
- qualified members can choose to be listed in the SportMedBC online “Practitioners’ Directory.” The Practitioners’ Directory is accessed by athletes, coaches, parents and the general public to locate sport medicine and sport science professionals throughout the province. Members wanting inclusion in the Directory have a short internal SMBC process to confirm that the credentials presented meet the standards set in agreement with the applicable professional or regulatory organization. (see Practitioners’ Directory section below)
- professional development opportunities exclusive to members through webinars, workshops and special speakers
- member only discounts when you register for sport safety courses and workshops
- member only discounts through affiliated suppliers
- member only opportunities to apply for financial assistance to attend professional development conferences or workshops. (Successful applicants will be required to share their learning with other SportMedBC members.)
- member only discounts on registration fees for SportMedBC Conferences supporting multi-disciplinary learning and networking. (new program to be launched)
- opportunities to instruct SportMedBC sport safety, sport training and / or sport performance courses and workshops
- SportMedBC works with your professional associations and colleges to offer continuing education credits and opportunities through our courses and workshops
SportMedBC members must also have current membership or credentials with one or more of the organizations / colleges below to be listed in the Practitioners’ Directory:
- Canadian Academy of Sport & Exercise Medicine (CASEM) with a Diploma in Sport Medicine
- College of Psychologists of BC (with an interest in sport medicine and sport science)
- BC Association of Optometrists
- Canadian Sport Psychology Association
- BC Podiatric Medical Association (sport medicine interest group)
- Pedorthist Association of Canada
- Sport Physiotherapy Canada, BC Section (SPC)
- Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia
- College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia
- Massage Therapists’ Association of BC
- Canadian Sport Massage Therapists Association (BC Chapter)
- College of Chiropractic Sport Sciences (Canada) (CCSS)
- College of Chiropractors of BC and the B.C. Chiropractic Association
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP)
- BC Association of Kinesiologists
- Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA)
- College of Dietitians of BC
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of British Columbia (CTCMA)
- Biomechanists who meet approved SportMedBC qualification criteria
- Orthopaedic Surgeons who are not members of CASEM but who meet approved SportMedBC qualification criteria
Join our community of professional sport medicine, sport and exercise science and health promotion professionals.
HONORARY MEMBERS OF SPORTMEDBC
The SportMedBC Honorary Member designation was first introduced in 2004 when the four founding members of the Sport Medicine Council of British Columbia were named as Honorary Members.
Honorary Members are those individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the association over a number of years, and who have been selected and named as Honorary Members by the membership at a General Meeting.
Honorary Members of SportMedBC
- Dr. Jack Taunton
- Dr. Doug Clement
- Dr. Harry Lendvoy
- Don Hartwig
- Dr. Bob McCormack
- Alex McKechnie
- Dr. Don Hedges
- Marilyn Payne
- Clyde Smith
- Lynda Cannell