SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR SPORTMEDBC MEMBERS on Saturday, September 26, 2015
1. SportMedBC Annual General Meeting (attend in person or submit a proxy)
2. TWO FREE Educational Workshops (both will be live streamed to benefit members throughout the province)
3. In person opportunity to attend the afternoon sessions of the "Exercise is Medicine Canada" Conference
SportMedBC Annual General Meeting & Workshops
9:00am to 12:30pm
As SportMedBC continues to promote awareness and leadership in sport medicine, sport science, sport training and health promotion, we want to ensure that you are part of our upcoming Annual General Meeting (AGM) and membership education day!
Annual General Meeting
Join us on Saturday, September 26th from 9:00am - 10:15am at Fortius Sport & Health in Burnaby for the 2015 SportMedBC Annual General Meeting.
We'll look back at 2014-2015 and preview some of the exciting projects we're working on for the 2015-2016 year. *The registration form is the bottom of this page.
As an important member of the provincial sport medicine and exercise science network, more than 620 practitioners strong, your presence would be much appreciated.
Educational Workshops for Members - Live Streamed
SportMedBC is pleased to offer TWO FREE workshops for SportMedBC members on Saturday, September 26th taking place right after the AGM. Members can attend in person or view live online.
- 10:45am - 11:45am: Dr. Jim Bovard will present, Concussions: How to Manage Them Without Hurting YOUR Brain
- 11:45am - 12:30pm: Dr. Ben Sporer will discuss Working with an Integrated Support Team
These workshops are also being LIVE STREAMED and can be viewed by all members throughout the province. The registration form is at the bottom of this page. The link to the live stream will be made available closer to the workshop date.
SPECIAL ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITY
SportMedBC has teamed with Exercise is Medicine Canada to enable SportMedBC members to register for the afternoon portion of an Exercise is Medicine Conference also being held at Fortius Sport & Health on Saturday, September 26th. You must pre-register for this conference. The afternoon workshop outline and registration prices for various categories for attendees are listed below. See the "EIMC REGISTRATION COSTS & LINKS" section below for your category and price.
Dr. Kara Solmundson, MD; CCFP; MSc Kinesiology; Sport Med Dip Canadian Academy of Sports and Exercise Medicine; Clinical Instructor division of Sports Medicine, Department of Family Practice, UBC School of Medicine
Dr. Jonathon Fowles, PhD, CSEP-CEP, CSCS, Clifford Shand Research Chair, Director, Centre of Lifestyle Studies, Professor, School of Kinesiology, Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia
- Discuss the health benefits and safety of regular exercise with their patients.
- Use the exercise vital sign as part of periodic health evaluation.
- Provide basic exercise counseling and prescription for patients as part of patient care.
- Be able to utilize a motivational counseling framework for health behaviour change.
- Learn how to monitor aerobic exercise intensity and how to do basic resistance exercise.
- 12:45pm - Lunch
- 1:15pm - Aerobic Exercise Prescription
- 2:15pm - Resistance Exercise Prescription
- 2:45pm - Issues for Exercise Rx in Clinical Practice - Addressing Obesity Management, Medications, Comorbidities and Q & A
- 3:15pm - Post Workshop Reflections and Workshop Evaluations
EIMC REGISTRATION COSTS & LINKS
MD's (up to 4 MainproC Credits)
Allied Health & Exercise Professionals
SCHEDULE for Saturday, September 26th, 2015
|8:00am - 9:00am||AGM onsite Registration opens|
Coffee and tea will be served. Voting card pick up - All proxies must be submitted by 8:45am.
|9:00am - 10:15am||SportMedBC AGM|
|10:15am - 10:45am||Networking Break||Coffee, tea, water, fruit and snacks will be served.|
|10:45am - 11:45am||Workshop #1 - Dr. Jim Bovard: Concussions: How to Manage Them Without Hurting YOUR Brain||Workshops will be live streamed by ViaSport and available to all SportMedBC members across the province.|
|11:45am - 12:30pm||Workshop #2 - Dr. Ben Sporer: Working with an Integrated Support Team||Workshops will be live streamed by ViaSport and available to all SportMedBC members across the province.|
|12:30pm - 4:15pm||Exercise is Medicine Canada afternoon workshops for SportMedBC members||Separate registration is required. Follow the links in the information section above.|
Please join us on Saturday, September 26th to attend the SportMedBC Annual General Meeting, network with your peers and colleagues from across the province, and hear from world-class practitioners and speakers.
See you there!
Some important information:
Five Director terms expire at the September 26th AGM. If you are interested in being nominated for a position on the SportMedBC Board, please click on the Nomination Information link.
All members should review the Special Resolutions (proposed Bylaw revisions) that will be discussed and voted on at the AGM.
Members in good standing can vote by proxy on all matters except the election of Directors. Sign the form below and forward to a SportMedBC member who will be in attendance at the AGM.