With the support from Sport BC, SportMedBC is proud to be currently in the planning stages of our next Run5K InTraining Program which offers free subsidized registrations to eligible participants.
As a not-for-profit society SportMedBC is committed providing an affordable program that helps participants reach their health, fitness, and sport goals. The objective for this initiative is to eliminate economic, logistical, and social barriers for New Canadian Youth to participate in a structured run program and provide the opportunity to meet and connect with people in their communities. This initiative will be offered in partnership with DIVERSECity’s Youth Program.
You might be wondering, “hich level of program is best for me?” The 5KNCY offers two (2) different levels depending on your fitness goals:
*If you have never run before or have not been running for a few months or longer, then this is the place to start. In this program you will alternate combinations of running and walking, and gradually increase the run interval while decreasing the walk interval. In this way your body and mind adjust to the impact, so that at the end of 10 weeks you will feel great and be prepared to comfortably complete a 5K. Some of you will want to run the 5K without stopping, and others will want to use combinations of running and walking. Whatever combination you choose will be exactly right for you!
*If you have been running consistently for at least 15-20 minutes 3 times a week for several months or longer, either outside or on a treadmill, then this is the place to start. You will develop consistency in your routine, learn to challenge yourself with brisk interval training and progress comfortably to where you’ll be ready to complete a 5K more efficiently and possibly faster than you ever have before.
- SportMedBC will consider all complete applications that are accompanied with a proof of current status in Canada. Distribution of the subsidized program registration will be on a first come first serve basis, provided the eligibility criteria has been met.
- Successful applications will receive confirmation of clinic registration as quickly as possible. However, due to the limited number of spaces (max 40), selection will apply on a first come, first served basis. A space will be held in a clinic for the applicants for 48hrs, while awaiting confirmation.
- Applicants must be able to travel to and from the clinic location by their own means.
- SportMedBC cannot guarantee, nor provide translators, for specific language needs. Each participant will be provided with a training program in English. Should language be a barrier, reasonable efforts will be made by SportMedBC to facilitate help with translation of content.
- There’s no cash value is offered in exchange for approved application.
- We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of SportBC in the delivery of this program.
- SportMedBC uses the following eligibility requirements to determine qualification for subsidized registration provided through the grant provided by Sport BC:
- New Canadian Youths (ages 13-18) who have immigrated to Canada within the last 5 years and is already a Permanent Resident or who has received confirmation of Permanent Residence from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
- Children of BC provincial nominees who are not yet approved for permanent residency.
- Post-secondary international students
- Refugee claimants
- Subsidized registration entries are granted in order of received applications, up to a maximum limit of 40 allocated spots.
- Applicants must be first time participants of the SportMedBC 5K InTraining program.
- The subsidized registration must be used by the person filling in the application and for whom it was approved. The registration cannot be transferred to someone else.
- Basic understanding of English.
- A weekly, guided training sessions with SportMedBC trained Instructors & Volunteers.
- A copy of SportMedBC InTraining program.
- Weekly supported training advice from SportMedBC professionals (nutrition tips, and additional training resources).
- Virtual check in and Training webinars hosted by Sport Medicine professionals.
- Receive exclusive promotional discount codes from SportMedBC Affiliated sponsors & partners.
- Opportunity to attend FREE SportMedBC events.
HOW DO I APPLY? APPLICATION APPROVAL
- Once the new program begins, we will post an application form to fill out.
- One application form needs to be filled in per participant. If applicant is under 16 years of age a parent or legal guardian needs to sign the application form.
- Proof of current Canadian status must be emailed to Intraining@sportmedbc.com
- Once application is received by SportMedBC approval and confirmation of registration will be sent to participant.
For any inquiries or concerns please contact the InTraining Coordinator at 604.294.3050 ext 105.