For the fifth year, SportMedBC will deliver the RBC GranFondo Fondo Clinics, leading up to the 2022 RBC GranFondo Whistler on September 10, 2022.
SportMedBC is acvitly searching for expert cyclists, who are interested in leading a group of participants, to prepare for the 2022 RBC GranFondo: Whistler.
Interested or know someone who’ll be a great fit to the Clinic Ride Mentor or Volunteer Sweep Leader position?
Sign-up today and add yourself to the list!
Ride Mentor Sign-up – deadline May 31st 2022
Join SportMedBC InTraining community where the Best People, Best Practice, Best Programs, and Best Lifestyle arises.
Whether you’re looking to tackle the RBC GranFondo Whistler for the first time, improve your time from last year, or interested in a woman only training clinic, there’s a program to help you reach your goal. The 10-week InTraining Program is designed for anyone who is interested in learning to train for 122km distant ride. Participants will meet their (Ride Mentor and Sweep Leaders (In-Person option) once per week, where you will follow a nice, progressive, change-of-pace schedule that is appropriate for both recreational and performance cyclists. The progressive program consist of workouts that can be tailied to your own abilities to support the physical, technical, and mental performance towards your personal goal.
The progressive program of training and skill development presented in our 10-week programs is intended to support the basic physical, technical, tactical, and mental training needed for riders to accomplish 122km. Whether the goal being to simply “do it”, be faster or more confident and efficient. The focus is to have participants gradually increase their training over a 10-week period, to avoid injury and give the body time to adapt to the stress of cycling.
The training plan contains 3 (three) purposeful and effortful riding sessions per week with the option to add additional fourth ride that will serve as an active recovery. Other rides can be incorporated but sufficient resting and recovering is essential and encouraged. The training plan allow self-set pace for each ride, while challenging all participants to the same relative degree. The program then extends toward overall fitness and strength in the limbs and main muscles of upper and lower body. Overall, SportMedBC encourage you to spend time on your bike to feel as prepare as you possibly can be.
- Digital Copy of SportMedBC detailed training sessions and practice exercises.
- 10 weekly – 90min guided training sessions (In-Person Clinic)
- Obtain weekly training webinars, coaching advice, nutrition tips, and additional training resources by sport medicine professionals.
- Receive promotional and discount code & product from SportMedBC’s Sponsors, Partners, and Events.
- Exclusive perks from RBC GranFondo Whistler Sponsors.
Who Will Be Leading the Program?
SportMedBC will assign a Ride Mentor to each clinic location to ensure program delivery, quality, and consistency. Each Ride Mentor is knowledgeable in the areas of health, fitness, organization, and leadership, and is trained by SportMedBC to help clinic participants achieve their fitness goals.
In addition, a team of trained, enthusiastic Volunteer Sweep Leaders will be available each week to assist the Ride Mentor and motivate the participants. The Ride Mentor and Volunteer Sweeps have completed SportMedBC training and are experienced cyclist – many of them have started out as participants, just like you!
CHOOSE YOUR CYCLEFONDO PROGRAM
SportMedBC InTraining Program offers a selection of 3 (three) groups for all comfort levels.Simply choose your cycling level – Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced (ride distances will gradually increase over the program) and opt-in to whether you want free weekly newsletter support including coaching tips, explainers and more. See below for details of each CycleFondo Level:
|Option||Virtual: You will ride on your own time.||In-Person: You will ride with others in limited group sizes, meeting outdoors only.|
Still not sure what level is right for you? Take our interactive online quiz and we’ll match you to your perfect clinic.
Program Begins: Week of July 2ndth, 2022
Program Ends: Week of Sept 3th, 2022
RBC GranFondo Whistler Race Day: Saturday Sept 10th, 2022
WHAT IS ESSENTIAL?
- Mandatory to wear a CSA approved cycling helmet. Chin straps must be always buckled when riding. The Rider must ensure all participants wear CSA approved cycling helmets.
- Obey all traffic laws: Riders are personally responsible for obeying all traffic laws; this includes traffic lights and stop signs. Violators may be ticketed. The Organizer will not reimburse any tickets or fines. The Rider is responsible for their own safety.
- NO E-BIKES & TRI-BIKES ALLOWED for In-Person Clinic – Road bikes are the dominate choice of training equipment to be used during the term of the program.
- Bikes need to be in excellent mechanical conditions – ready to go with breaks and gear tuned
- Water bottle holder/cage
- Clip pedals will give an edge but are not mandatory.
- All clinics are to meet outdoors, and there will be limited access to lockers or changing rooms. Participants are asked to arrive in their training attire and to leave personal belongings in their vehicles or at home.
- Not sure what to wear when training? No problem…we recommend heading to your nearest local bike shop to ask for their advice for shorts, shoes, jackets etc.
PRICING & REGISTRATION
For a full list of clinic locations or to register please visit the RBC GranFondo Whistler registration page.