Tilman von der Linde on Carbo Loading For The SunRun
Rather than stuffing your face the night before the Sun Run, Carbo loading is best done over several days during the tapering week before the race. Although it is time to eat, Carbo loading is definitely not an excuse for the foodies to eat everything in sight either.
Why Carbo Load?
Carbohydrates are converted into glycogen and are mainly stored in both the muscles and the liver. In the muscles they provide the best and most readily available source of energy. While the liver acts as a storage reservoir to maintain good blood glucose levels for the brain.
Eat Healthy - Carbohydrates take priority at this point.
1. Choose starchy veggies like yams and potatoes.
2. Drink juice, eat dried fruits, bread, cereals, rice and pasta.
3. Go for smaller portions of greens, tomatoes and carrots.
4. Reduce fiber, such as salads and steamed veggies.
5. Add a little more salt to maintain normal hydration levels.
The Breakfast of Champions
A good breakfast on the morning of the Sun Run will not be enough to fuel your muscles, but will top up the glycogen stores in the liver. This in turn, is meant to maintain good blood glucose levels for the brain to be mentally fit for the event. All vital in curbing the mental fatigue that can come up.
Tilman von der Linde, RMT.
Muscles in Motion - Vancouver