- First Aiders
- First Responders and Paramedics
- Nurses (RN, LPN, RPN)
- Learners* – Residents, Medical & Nursing Students
- Bike teams for first response (we’ll set you up!)
- Physiotherapists, Chiropractors & Athletic Trainers
- General volunteers for operations support**
- Junior Volunteers – A limited number of supervised spots for volunteers aged 14-17
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23rd – EDUCATION SESSION:
We’ll begin with a FREE education symposium on Sports Medicine and Mass Gathering Medical Care. This will be held in the Hurlburt Auditorium at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver from 18:00-20:30. Everyone is welcome, whether or not volunteering on the Medical Team!
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24th – 10K Run:
Saturday morning will be an early start, but a short commitment to support the runners in the Cunningham Seawall 10K run. Aid stations, bike teams, sweep vehicles, a Finishing chute team, and the main medical tent crew will care for anyone seeking help.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 25th – Half Marathon:
Sunday morning will be ‘the Half.’ Again, it will be an early start with a finish before noon for medical team members. Once again, we’ll have on-course aid stations, bike teams, sweep vehicles and multi‐disciplinary supports for the athletes at the Finishing pavilion. BC Ambulance Special Operations will collaborate with the on‐site medical team for transports.
Sports Medicine Volunteer Experience:
Mass participation event medicine at sporting events is a great deal of fun. It is a chance to work with a multi-disciplinary team of like-minded helpers who support community athletics, and enjoy the chance to use their first aid and medical skills “in the field.”
* Note that UBC Medical and Nursing Faculty members will be on site as part of the medical leadership team.
** Feel free to invite partners/spouses who may want to be part of the team in a non-medical support role.