Exercise Prescription in Primary Care Workshop
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016
- 8:30 am – 4:15 pm
- Victoria Conference Centre, Victoria BC
Dr. Kara Solmundson, MD; CCFP; MSc Kinesiology; Sport Med Dip Canadian Academy of Sports and Exercise Medicine; Clinical Instructor division of Sports Medicine, Department of Family Practice, UBC School of Medicine; and
Kathy Gaul, PhD, Associate Professor, School of Exercise Science, Physical & Health Education, Course Director, Foundations of Medicine, Island Medical Program, University of Victoria.
Breakfast, Lunch and Refreshments will be provided!
“What if there was one prescription that could prevent and treat dozens of diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension and obesity? Would you prescribe it to your patients? Certainly.”
- Robert E. Sallis, M.D., FACSM, Exercise is Medicine® Task Force Chairman
This program meets the accreditation criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been accredited for up to 6 Mainpro-C credits and 0 Mainpro-M1 credits.
Overview: The Exercise Vital Sign (EVS) is the most important vital sign you need to monitor with the majority of patients seen in primary care today. Learn how to efficiently integrate the EVS into your daily practice and to provide basic exercise counseling and prescription for your patients to prevent, manage and treat chronic disease.
- Discuss the health benefits and safety of regular exercise with their patients.
- Use the exercise vital sign as part of periodic health evaluation
- Provide basic exercise counseling and prescription for patients as part of patient care
- Be able to utilize a motivational counseling framework for health behaviour change.
- Learn how to monitor aerobic exercise intensity and how to do basic resistance exercise
Open to all health care professionals and students enrolled in health and exercise sciences.
Health care professional:
$280; $220 for EIMC Professional Network members (Visit exerciseismedicine.ca / EIMC Professional Network to join– annual fee $60);
Certified exercise professionals:
$180; $120 for EIMC Professional Network members (Visit exerciseismedicine.ca / EIMC Professional Network to join– annual fee $60 or $50 CSEP members);