To focus efforts on containment of COVID-19 in British Columbia, public health officials have implemented the following measures:
- The B.C. Ministry of Health has developed a self-assessment tool to help individuals to determine whether they may need further assessment or testing for COVID-19. The Ministry of Health notes this can be a self-assessment, or it can be completed on behalf of someone else.
For sport organizations:
- Event cancellations: Event organizers are now required to cancel any gathering with more than 50 people – view the joint statement. For gatherings under 50 people, see the Public Health Agency of Canada's "Risk Informed Decision Making" tool. Decisions to cancel events should also include an assessment on the event’s overall viability if attendance is reduced. We encourage you to keep public health and safety in mind at this time. If your event is postponed or cancelled, please take efforts to notify attendees/participants by email, or by posting updates on your website and social media.
- Workplace recommendations: Workplaces should consider social distancing measures. View up-to-date information for businesses and employers from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control here.
- Non-essential travel: Federal authorities have indicated that Canadians are to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada, including the United States. Canadians and permanent residents currently outside the country should make plans to return home immediately.
- Return from travel protocol: For those returning to Canada after international travel, including the U.S., it is currently requested that they self-isolate for 14 days. See guidelines and more information on self-isolation and monitoring here.
For participants, athletes, parents, fans and volunteers:
- Current information on event cancellations: For specific sport sector event status, please visit the sport organization’s website, or the event website, for the most up-to-date status of events and programming as things are shifting daily.
- Recreation centres: Please visit your local municipal web and social media sites to stay up to date on closures of recreation centres, ice rink and pools. The B.C. Recreation and Park Association website also has a COVID-19 updates page.
- School sports: At this time school sports competitions remain at the discretion of the school and school district. Please contact your school coach or Athletic Director for the most up to date information. Also, updates can be found at B.C. School Sports.
- Community responsibility: Please take care of yourselves and your communities. Shop responsibly to ensure supplies are plentiful and available for all of those who need them. Check in on your neighbours, teammates and family members, while working to practice social distancing.
For up-to date information on the developing COVID-19 situation, please visit the BC Centre for Disease Control. If you have any questions, please see the Centre’s common questions page.
As always, please direct your sport sector-related questions and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.