SPORTMEDBC INTRAINING: VOLUNTEER LEADER
Are you an avid runner/walker who has the energy to motivate other and make a difference in a positive way? Do you want to build your client experience and lead a group of new and seasoned runners? Consider joining SportMedBC volunteer Leader team. With clinics across British Columbia, every position at SMBC comes with numerous opportunities for advancements. We’re currently gearing up for our RunWalk, InTraining Program and we’re actively seeking enthusiastic individuals who have a passion and knowledge/experience in the areas of health, fitness, wellness, organization, leadership.
As the volunteer, you will assist the Clinic Mentor with guiding novice runners and walkers; while maintaining the overall “quality control” to ensure consistency, and safety throughout the entire program. This position is responsible for operating under SportMedBC bylaws, policies, and protocols Volunteers will be encouraging participants for 13-weeks, (average 1.5hrs /week).
- To assist the Clinic Mentor in providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all InTraining Participants.
- inform of any travel plans or other events that may impede a training session so they can make alternate arrangements.
- Responsible for assisting the Clinic Mentor with any potentially hazardous situations, and how to initiate an emergency action plan.
- Support and respect your Clinic Mentor established protocols. Help motivate all participants and ensure all participants follow the prescribed workout. The pacing for the participants will be slow so please remember that the workout is for THEM, not for you!
- Access to a computer and/or telephone at least once per week to receive Weekly Newsletters to reiterate any news and information to participants.
- Be Reliable. It is important that you attend all the weekly training sessions at your designated center. The participants are counting on you to be there each week. Attend mandatory SMBC training sessions.
- Communicate. Please Communicate within reason, enough notice to Clinic Mentor for any travel plans or other events that may impede a training session such as if you’re ill and unable to make a group run. Mentors need to make alternate arrangements for the safety of the participants.
- Follow The Routine. The training schedule has been carefully planned with incremental increases in duration and intensity. It is important that you ensure that all participants follow the prescribed workout. Remember, the InTraining programs have been designed for specific groups (i.e. walkers, joggers and novice and intermediate runners). The pacing for the participants will be slow so please remember that the workout is for them, not for you!
- Make Safety A Priority & Be Responsible! When you are out with your group, please ensure that everyone makes it back to the Ho.st Centre safely.
- Think Prevention! You will be responsible for assisting the Clinic Mentor not only to maintain a safe training environment, but also to anticipate potential problems before they occur. Ensure that you have knowledge of the routes and training session prior to each session. Take extra care at intersections and in high traffic areas, especially at night. Be aware of the weather on your specific clinic night and make sure you warn your participants about any extra hazards they should be aware of.
- Know Your Limitations. Don’t try to answer questions or provide information on topics that you are not fully confident with. Volunteers should refer to the Clinic Mentor or directly to SportMedBC.
- Follow Protocol. Uphold the Mission, Vision and Values of SportMedBC & help build the “Best Lifestyle” culture at SportMedBC and respect your Clinic Mentor establish protocols.
- Be Courteous. maintain the highest standard of personal conduct in all activities associated with the InTraining Clinic and refrain from any harassment discrimination or other unlawful conduct; Treat all fellow volunteers, participants, and your Clinic Mentor with the utmost respect in all aspects associated with the InTraining program.
- Computer Literate. It is important for all leaders to have basic computer knowledge as it is a main tool for communication. Leaders are expected to have access to a computer at least once per week to receive pertinent coaching advice and leadership resources.
- Be Flexible! Be open to walking/running with a wide variety of participants and group sizes including fast, slow, and in between. Mingle between all group participants; avoid running/walking with the same participants each week.
- Be Enthusiastic! By providing a congenial, friendly, fun atmosphere, and positive attitude is essential to ensure all participants enjoy their InTraining experience, and that they stay motivated.
- Provide feedback! Fill in the Feedback Form at the end of the clinic to help us plan for next year. Your suggestions and comments are valuable and help us to shape the clinics for the future.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record Check. As a not-for-profit multi-sport organization that receives funding from the provincial government. SportMedBC is required to appropriately screen program in accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act and Sport Safe.
- More than 1 – 3 years of experience completing a 10K distant event and/or the SMBC RunWalk, InTraining Program.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Volunteers are expected to be free from injury to maximize the attention they can pay to the clinic participants; and consistently exercising several times per week in the lead up to the InTraining: RunWalk clinics
- Comfortable encouraging a group of participants through prescribed run sessions.
- Experience running as part of a group/club and have a good understanding of aspects and stages included basic running mechanics.
- Attend mandatory meetings with your Clinic Mentor prior to clinic start date.
- SMBC InTraining “Thank You” Gift, volunteer letter, and eligible awards.
- Receive exclusive training & educational, resources, & webinars hosted by Sport Medicine Professionals.
- Promotional discount codes, and giveaways through SMBC Partners & Sponsors.
- Access to SMBC InTraining Logbook & Manual.
- Optional to obtain a SMBC, SportMed Safety – Sport First Aid Certificate
- $50 EverythingCard Gift Card for act of service