As the 2011 Western Canada Summer Games continue in Kamloops, SportMedBC is following the events and stories of Team BC.
SportMedBC’s Manager of Performance Dr. D’arcey Musselman is along for the ride. D’arcey is the Medical Manager for Team BC. She will be keeping us up-to-date throughout the games, which run from Friday, August 5th to Sunday, August 14th.
Here are some of her impressions through Thursday, August 11th:
“A bit of a turn around day for us as we said goodbye to the week one athletes in the morning and then welcomed week two athletes in the afternoon. Team BC athletes delivered an outstanding first week of performances which were combined with some memorable highlights behind the scenes.
Performance and medical team stories from week one include:
- ice baths for the triathlon team
- river soaks for the beach volleyball team
- the countless hours and professionalism provided by Athletic Therapist Kevin Brechin in the polyclinic
- discussions with Dr. Bruce Davidson (Chief Medical Officers for WCSG) in regards to concussions
- the impressive performances and coaching by the wrestling team
- the proactive approach men’s beach volleyball coach Kyra Ianonne took to dealing with injuries
- the host society successfully providing food alternatives for athletes and coaches with food allergies and sensitivities
We’re all looking forward to the stories and memories the week two athletes will bring!
Go Team BC!”