On Saturday, September 24th, SportMedBC hosted its Annual General Meeting and Conference. With the focus of the AGM being Best Practices in Social Media, Rob Cottingham and Alexandra Samuel of Social Signal gave informative and educational presentations on the topic.
While both Rob and Alexandra covered a number of topics within their presentations, here’s a rundown of some great resources and tips from the keynote address and workshops.
Sites to check out:
- Listorious – the yellow pages of Twitter.
- Google Reader – Read everything in one place with Google Reader. Keeping up with your favorite websites is as easy as checking your email.
- Mashable – Social media news and web tips.
- Lifehacker – Tips, tricks, and downloads for getting covering your needs.
- Bit.ly/3hrwksm – Alexandra Samuel’s presentation
- Social Media Examiner – Social Media Blog
Social networking sites:
- Twitter.com – Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest information about what you find interesting. Simply find the public streams you find most compelling and follow the conversations.
- Facebook.com – Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life.
- LinkedIn – Over 120 million professionals use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas and opportunities. Stay informed about your contacts and industry. Find the people & knowledge you need to achieve your goals. Control your professional identity online
- Foursquare – Foursquare is a location-based mobile platform that makes cities easier to use and more interesting to explore. By “checking in” via a smartphone app or SMS, users share their location with friends while collecting points and virtual badges.
After the social media discussions, some of the leaders in sport medicine and social media spoke to the group. Editor of the British Journal of Sports Medicine, Dr. Karim Khan along with colleague Callista Haggis gave the audience of a brief presentation about their experience and involvement through social media on their blog and their growing twitter page.
Also, a big thank you to our outstanding sponsors who were in attendance on Saturday for our tradeshow! They include our title sponsor Kintec Footwear & Orthotics, our workshop sponsor Medelco Inc., along with Physical Activity Line, SierraSil, AlphaVida Solutions, Paris Orthotics, and SportMed.